Arthrosis, osteoarthritis of the knee joint.
The knee joint is composed of three functional compartments
Evaluation of severity of damage in these three compartments is essential to choose the right treatment.
If you have severe degenerative changes of all three compartments the only correct treatment is total knee prosthetic replacement.
Degenerative changes in only one or two compartments require different choices depending on the severity of the arthrosis:
- unicondylar replacement (more often medial than lateral)
- femuropatellar replacement (seldom)
- correction of the weigth bearing axis by periarticular knee osteotomy (to prevent or postpone prosthetic replacement)
- Rx weigth beering axis, Rosenberg view
- RMN-MRI: evaluation of bone and cartlage
- Arthroscopy: evaluation in case of surgical deformity correction or unicondylar replacement.